Karen Frank’s practice covers virtually every aspect of intellectual property, including copyright, trademark, domain names, unfair competition, right of publicity, branding and advertising, privacy and the Internet. She represents clients in a diverse range of industries, including finance, advertising, technology, food, wine, luxury goods, fashion, music, entertainment, education, and more.
Her practice focuses on licensing and services agreements, print and electronic publishing agreements, intellectual property counseling, clearance and enforcement, content acquisition and performance issues, advertising clearance, and rights and privacy issues relating to websites and the Internet.
- Representation of a major science and natural history museum in rights clearance issues in exhibits, planetariums productions and content licensing agreements
- Negotiation of publishing agreements for authors and illustrators
- Development of content database and digital rights management and distribution program for leading scientific institution
- Development of content licensing program for digital scientific magazine
- Representation of a major music performing rights organization in its Northern California enforcement activities
- Negotiation of services agreements for advertising and communications agencies
- Negotiation of a range of content licensing agreements, for print, music, and video content
- Representation of a range of food and beverage companies for distribution agreements, co-pack agreements, advertising and trademark licensing
- Review and clearance of content and advertising claims for advertising agencies and their clients
- Review and advice on IP, privacy and other compliance issues for social media advertising campaigns
- Review and advice regarding contests and sweepstakes
- IP and business advice and counseling for fashion companies, including enforcement of proprietary designs and images
- Representation of social entrepreneurial ventures in general business activities, advertising activities and commercial co-venturing projects
- Management of international trademark portfolios and enforcement of trademark rights
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "Fashion Rules! (And Laws),” Golden Gate University Intellectual Property Law Institute (February 2015)
- "Trademark Law Update,” Intellectual Property Law Institute (October 2014)
- "Social Media, Fair Use & The Fashion Industry,” Hastings College of the Law Fashion, Art & Design Law Society, Fashion Law Symposium (February 2014)
- "Illegal Instagram: Fair Use and Photography," Hastings College of the Law (January 2014)
- "Trademark Law Update," Intellectual Property Law Institute (October 2013)
- "Trademark Law Update," Intellectual Property Law Institute (September 2012)
- "Copyright Basics, Practice Pointers and Hot Spots in Social Media and Advertising," State Bar of California Tele-Seminar (July 2012)
- "Creating and Managing Brand Content on the Web," ALI-ABA Museum Administrators Conference (March 2012)
- "Trademark Hot Topics 2011," PLI Intellectual Property Institute (October 2011)
- "Trademark Pre-Litigation Checklist: Getting Your Ducks in a Row," PLI Intellectual Property Institute (October 2010)
- “IP Rights in Fashion," San Francisco Intellectual Property Law Institute (May 2010)
Honors & Awards
Karen has been named a Top 250 Women in IP by Managing Intellectual Property Magazine. She is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the Intellectual Property Litigation category. She is recognized as a Northern California SuperLawyer, and is a Martindale Hubbell AV-Rated Attorney. Karen was selected by her peers for inclusion in the 2007 and 2009 Who's Who Legal: California, Trademarks chapter and is listed in Who's Who in American Law, 2009 and 2010 and Who's Who in America, 2007 – 2012.
Karen is past president of the Copyright Society of the USA; former chair of the Copyright Society of Northern California; a member of the American Law Institute, and a member of the International Trademark Association.
Karen is an annual member of the faculty for the Practicing Law Institute (PLI) Advanced Intellectual Property Institute and is a frequent speaker on intellectual property issues.
Karen has served on the Boards of Directors of the Lake Tahoe Summerfest, Legal Community Against Violence, the Emeryville Chamber of Commerce, and Friends of Oakland Parks and Recreation. She volunteers with Bay Area YearUp and Foster a Dream.
Karen received her undergraduate degree from Connecticut College and her law degree from the University of California, Hastings School of Law where she was Executive Articles Editor for COMM/ENT Journal of Communications and Entertainment Law.