Cliff Yin is the chair of the litigation practice group. He has twenty years of experience litigating high-stakes business, real estate, and employment disputes, including first-chairing jury trial victories. He is known for his reasoned approach to problem solving and for his unique combination of responsiveness, efficiency, and tenacity.
Because his clients come from a wide range of industries—advertising, professional services, real estate, retail, supermarket, technology, and more—Cliff is adept at quickly understanding his clients’ business and strategic objectives and placing them in an optimal position to resolve or win their disputes.
- Obtained a seven-figure jury verdict in a five-day breach of lease trial on behalf of a major real estate developer, including award of all requested attorney fees.
- On behalf of Fortune 200 company, successfully defeated motion for preliminary injunction, obtained early dismissal of lawsuit, and obtained award of 95% of requested attorney fees.
- Won a complete defense verdict in a five-day NLRB unfair labor practice proceeding on behalf of a private security company.
- Obtained high six-figure jury verdict in a five-day breach of contract trial on behalf of a major telecommunications company.
- Reached favorable settlements in wrongful termination lawsuits brought against a Fortune 500 technology company.
- Reached a favorable $150,000 settlement in a breach of contract action even though the plaintiff claimed damages in excess of $21 million and had won summary adjudication on several claims.
- Litigated several offbeat cases, including cases involving the alleged theft of three Dachshunds and the ownership of an award-winning Airedale Terrier.
Honors & Awards
For several years running, Cliff has been named a "Northern California Super Lawyer" by San Francisco Magazine (2011-2016) and in 2009, was profiled in that magazine as a Rising Star. He has received recognition for his trial-advocacy work from the Constitutional Rights Foundation and the San Francisco Unified School District. In 2008, he won an "Adult Advocate of the Year" award for outstanding dedication and commitment to California youth.
Cliff is a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America (LCA) (a trial lawyer honorary society) and for the past 20 years he has been a mock trial coach for two San Francisco public high schools, including the San Francisco School of the Arts. For several years, his teams have won the San Francisco County championship and placed in the Top 20 in the California state competition. He also served on the firm's Management Committee.
Cliff earned his law degree from Harvard Law School (1994) after attending Brown University and earning his bachelor's degree magna cum laude in English and economics.