At Coblentz, we make it our business to understand your business. That’s because we know that to provide the best counsel for professionals, we must know their business from the ground up.
In our representation of a range of professionals—from accounting firms to architects—we provide timely, practical solutions in both corporate and litigation matters.
Coblentz’s business partners advise architects, accountants, engineers, venture capital firms, hedge funds, investment advisors, law firms, physicians, and advertising and marketing firms on every phase of their professional practice: formation, leadership succession, mergers and acquisitions (both buy and sell side), admission and removal of partners, and general operations matters.
Our professional services clients benefit from our expertise in the full range of services we provide, including business and tax planning and compliance and regulatory assistance.
- Assisted companies with acquisition of other firms to acquire better geographical coverage, more critical mass, additional leadership or to expand areas of expertise
- Counseled on the sales of professional firms
- Amended or created new partnership agreements and arrangements
- Removed under-contributing partners or otherwise led management changes
Our litigation partners defend auditors and accountants in federal court and in state courts throughout California.
We have represented accounting firms in securities, tax, auditing malpractice, and fraud cases, and we are frequently called upon to defend or respond to third-party depositions and subpoenas. We also represent mid-size accounting firms and individual accountants, both in the defense of their audit and other accounting work and in litigation prevention and risk management.
We have successfully defended law firms in a wide variety of securities and related matters.
- Defended an international arm of a Big Five accounting firm in a federal securities fraud class action arising from audit work for a high tech company
- Defended a Big Five accounting firm in a $70 million securities fraud claim arising from audit of beauty supply company
- Defended trade libel and contract interference claims asserted against a Big Five accounting firm accused of slandering officer and subcontractor of audit client
- Defended a major California law firm in a professional malpractice action