Valerie Blair McDermott is dedicated to providing value to her clients in commercial real estate transactions. With attention to each client's practical and economic interests, Valerie negotiates and drafts thorough, sensible agreements to help her clients achieve their goals.
Representing landlords and tenants alike, Valerie negotiates and prepares leases for commercial properties throughout California and the U.S. She represents buyers, sellers, borrowers and lenders in commercial real estate purchases, sales, and financing transactions; prepares and amends easements and licenses; and participates in contract negotiations for a variety of renewable energy transactions.
Clients, including technology industry leaders, national professional companies, retail and manufacturing entrepreneurs, real estate investors, and enterprises in a variety of industries, value her responsiveness and depth of experience in California real estate transactions.
Prior to joining Coblentz, Valerie practiced in the San Francisco offices of Arent Fox LLP and Greene Radovsky Maloney Share & Hennigh, LLP. She also served as a judicial extern for the Honorable A. Wallace Tashima at the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit and a volunteer attorney with the Legal Aid Society-Employment Law Center.
- Represented a number of large Silicon Valley and San Francisco technology companies in negotiating Bay Area leases for office and R&D uses
- Represented owners of multi-tenant, multi-use properties throughout the Bay Area and California in leasing, tenant relations, and property acquisition and disposition
- Represented multinational engineering firm in office leasing matters throughout the U.S.
- Represented large international property investment company in negotiating landlord-friendly retail, restaurant, and office leases throughout the U.S.
- Represented elite Sonoma winery in connection with acquisition of vineyard land and agricultural leasing and easement matters
- Represented automotive companies as real estate counsel in connection with asset sales and purchases, dealership leases, and land use matters
- Represented multiple health care businesses as real estate counsel in connection with business mergers, acquisitions, and facility leasing and management
Honors & Awards
Valerie was awarded the 2013 Northern California Real Estate Women of Influence "Rising Star" Award.
Valerie dedicates a portion of her practice to pro bono service, and is a volunteer attorney with the Lawyers' Committee For Civil Rights (Legal Services for Entrepreneurs and the Second Chance Clinic). She is also a member of the AIDS Legal Referral Panel, where she has received recognition for her pro bono service. Valerie also volunteers with the Bar Association of San Francisco's VLSP Family Law Project and the Legal Aid Society – Employment Law Center.
Valerie received her B.A. from Claremont McKenna College, where she graduated cum laude, and earned her J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley Boalt Hall School of Law.