Misti Schmidt has significant experience with structuring, negotiating, and closing land conservation transactions.
Misti also has expertise in the acquisition, disposition, financing, and leasing of commercial real estate. She assists developer, landlord, tenant, and non-profit clients with the purchase, sale, and leasing of office, retail, and industrial property. Misti has particular experience representing start-up and tech clients in real estate matters and has advised corporate clients with respect to real estate or environmental issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions and securities offerings.
Misti is a contributing author to for the firm’s Law on Purpose blog, which provides insights into the emerging space of social enterprise and impact investing.
Misti Schmidt is admitted to practice law in California and Washington. She is on the Editorial Board and is an issue editor for the California Real Property Journal, which is published by the State Bar’s Real Property Law Section. She is a member of the San Francisco Bar Association’s Real Property and Environmental Law Sections. Prior to law school, Misti served as an AmeriCorps*VISTA Leader at Habitat for Humanity ReStore in Kansas City, Missouri.
Honors & Awards
Misti was selected to receive the California State Bar Real Property Section’s 2016 Morning Star Award for young lawyers who have shown “early promise in real property practice and dedication of service to the State Bar and the highest ethical standards.” She’s also been honored many times for her pro bono legal services. She was awarded the Outstanding Volunteer in Public Service Award (2009, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) by the San Francisco Bar Association Volunteer Legal Services Program and the Wiley W. Manual Award (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011) by the State Bar of California.
Misti was named to the Rising Stars list in the 2011 and 2012 editions of Northern California SuperLawyers, and was named a Northern California SuperLawyer in 2013.
Misti received her B.A. from Louisiana State University (2002), where she graduated cum laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. She received her J.D. from the University of California, Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall) (2007), where she received a Certificate in Environmental Law and was Associate Editor of Ecology Law Quarterly.
Misti is currently pursuing an LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law.
Representative Publications & Speaking Engagements
- Author, "IRS Updates Conservation Easement Audit Techniques Guide," Law on Purpose (December 2016)
- Speaker, “Carbon Credits in Conservation Easements” and “Recent Court Cases Affecting Land Trusts and Donations,” Conservation Law Forum presented by the California Council of Land Trusts (November 2016)
- Speaker, “Interactive Roundtable on Advanced Tax Issues and Case Update” and “Practical Pointers on IRS Form 8283 and Contemporaneous Written Acknowledgement,” Land Trust Alliance annual conference (October 2016)
- Speaker, “Anatomy of a Conservation Easement," Sharing Economies Law Center legal retreat (September 2016)
- Co-author, "Conserve Your Land, Preserve Your Estate: The Conservation Easement as a Land Use, Tax & Estate Planning Tool," Law on Purpose (July 2016)
- California Real Property Law Journal: Issue Co-Editor, Issue 1, Volume 34; Issue 3, Volume 33; Issue 2, Volume 32; Issue 4, Volume 33; Article Editor, Issue 1, Volume 32, Issues 1, 2, and 4, Volume 31, and Issue 4, Volume 30 (2012-Present)
- Coblentz Client Update: “New Requirements for Landlords Leasing to Small Business Tenants in San Francisco,” September 2012
- Coblentz Client Update: “October 1 Deadline for Energy Efficiency Reporting (for SF Nonresidential Buildings over 50,000 Square Feet),” September 2011